The Sun is shining, bees are buzzing, we are dining outdoors and every young lad in the country has a big aul farmers tan. This can only mean one thing. Summer is here and while it seems to last for just one day rather than a full season, it is still the perfect excuse to whip up a cool treat to beat the heat.
This week we are thrilling and chilling that sweet tooth with gluten and dairy free ice cream. This recipe is perfect for those of us who (like myself) are currently staring into a fruit bowl full of almost over ripe bananas. So chop them all up and pop them into the freezer. What you don’t use now for ice cream you can always use later for a smoothie.
Bananas are full of potassium and vitamin B6 but aside from their health benefits they also provide the perfect texture for our vegan ice cream.
This heavenly dessert tastes so good that it must be a sin, but it’s really a saint as we are adding sweet zinc filled strawberries, anti oxidant packed blueberries and magnesium rich cacao nibs (which deserve and entire blog of their own).
What You’ll Need:
- 3 Bananas
- 2 Tbsp Raw Cacao Nibs
- 2 Tbsp Crunchy Organic Peanut Butter
- Handful of Blueberries
- Handful of Strawberries
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- Maple Syrup
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract (optional)
- Slice and freeze the bananas.
- Once frozen add them to a food processor and blend.
- Chop the strawberries and add them to the blender along with the blue berries, cacao nibs, sea salt, peanut butter and vanilla extract.
- Whiz it all up until the texture is similar to ice cream.
- Drizzle with maple syrup and serve in a wafer, cone, bowl or any way you like.
All the ingredients mentioned above can be found at The Green Door Market. Like us on Facebook and follow me on Instagram as I continue my culinary adventures.